Watchmaking entrepreneur Edouard Bovet was born in Fleurier in 1797. At the age of 17, he joined his brothers Alphonse and Frédéric as they left for London, one of the largest watchmaking capitals of the day.
After spending four years there, Bovet travelled to China, where he sold four pocket watches for a total of 10,000 Francs – the equivalent of one million dollars today.
On his return to Fleurier in 1830, he had his own workshop built. Ten years later, in 1840, the Firm there had a workforce of over 175. Fritz Bovet, Alphonse Bovet's son, joined the company and in 1889 filed one of the first patents for a single-button chronograph.
In 2001, Pascal Raffy bought out the firm and five years later embarked on a process of integration, acquiring the Dimier 1738 Handcrafted Fine Watchmaking Manufacture, the Dimier 1738 Dial Manufacture and Môtiers Castle – a fourteenth-century building that had previously belonged to the Bovet family, where he set up a watchmaking workshop for the assembly of timepieces.
Ever since, the Firm has developed and manufactured outstanding watches. Specialising in grand complications, the Manufacture covers 43 different trades, enabling all components – including spirals – to be manufactured.
In 2013, Bovet 1822 also presented its first oval-shaped watch: the “Recital 9 Tourbillon Miss Alexandra”, the hands of which form a heart when they are aligned every hour.