Founded in Geneva in 1755, the Vacheron Constantin watchmaking manufacture is the oldest in the world, having been in business uninterrupted for over 250 years.
The firm has always adhered to three fundamental principles: excellent technique, inspired, harmonious aesthetics and the ultimate in finishes.This spirit of Fine Watchmaking first emerged in Geneva's Saint Gervais quarter, where Jean-Marc Vacheron, then 24, opened his watchmaking workshop.
Driven by the same passion, his grandson Jacques-Barthélémy contributed to the rise of the family firm from 1810 onwards by developing exports to Europe.
The early nineteenth century sealed the destiny of Jacques-Barthélémy Vacheron and François Constantin, a seasoned traveller. The manufacture was named after both of them.
On 5 July 1819, Constantin sent a letter to Vacheron which included what was to become the Firm's motto: “Do better if possible and that is always possible.”
In 1906, the Firm opened its first shop on Quai de l'Ile in Geneva – it is still there to this day. It has been owned by the Richemont Group since 1996; in 2005, it built a manufacture in Plan-les-Ouates – a fitting way to celebrate its 250th anniversary.